Saturday, February 27, 2010

It's Alive!

 ~It's Alive!~
Let me just start by saying, that I love spring! I look forward to Easter, when we'll celebrate the resurrection of our Savior, Jesus, getting to watch as everything in nature comes to life again, Payton's birthday in April as she turns 16, and glorious, colorful, fresh fabric decorating! Spring makes my heart happy! 

So, as the season and Easter approach, I want to share with you the idea of planting real, live grass to have ready just in time. I've always wanted to plant rye grass for my girls' Easter baskets instead of using the shredded, plastic kind. You know, the kind that usually blows out of their baskets as soon as they begin to run?


The only problem is, I never think about doing it in time. That is, until this year. And I'm inspiring you along with me!
 I bought a small bag of rye grass at Dollar General for $3.50, that will supply a multitude of children desiring real grass in their baskets. Not only can it be used for Easter, but also in containers for decoration throughout the house. How's that for dirt cheap decorating?

Here are some simple directions for getting your stand of grass started. Get your little ones involved too, and they're sure to watch with pride as the seeds begin to sprout.  Dirty, little hands are happy hands, I've always said :) 

Here's what you'll need:
basket
winter rye grass seed
aluminum foil
plastic wrap
potting soil
  1. Two or three weeks before you need the basket, line it with aluminum foil or a plastic bag, and fill with potting soil. Sprinkle with a layer of seeds, then cover with 1/4 inch of soil, and moisten.
  2. Cover the basket with plastic wrap to help keep it moist; place in a warm area (on top of the refrigerator is good, if you don't forget to check it!)
  3. After the grass has sprouted, remove the plastic wrap and keep a close eye on it. Add more water if the soil begins to get dry.

After a few weeks, you'll have a basketful of beautiful, green grass! 
From there, the possibilities are endless!







No comments: