Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Creatively Afflicted

Country Living
Brad has frequently asked me during the course of our twenty-three years together (Yes, we started dating during our infancy), "Don't you ever get tired of talking about house stuff?" To which I've always, emphatically replied, "No!"
Never, actually. 


Not only that, but I never tire of just looking at pictures of practical, inviting spaces either. Whether they're from magazines or virtual ones on my computer screen, I "move into" every one of them. I think it's their clutter-free appeal that makes my heart skip a beat. Just classic designs that are completely and utterly d-o-n-e, done. Now, there's a concept! 

Country Living
Maybe that's why I've yet to see an inspiring photo layout with stacks of mail on the counter, dishes to wash, laundry to fold, or a tent made with sofa cushions as they collect dust and pet hair on the floor. Wait! That's because that's my house. No photographers today, please! 

How I do desire order to my chaos though. Is it too much for a girl to ask?


If I can't always have my home magazine-worthy, at least I can achieve a certain level of therapy through the process of decorating and collecting. 

 Did you know that not everyone's pulse rate and salivary glands increase while strolling through 
paint samples? 
Fabric stores? 
Piles of rusty, vintage junk? 
 Yard sales on the side of the road? 
Or flea markets sporting everything from Elvis rugs to fried pork rinds? 

Home.comcast.net
As hard as it is to believe y'all, it's true! It's a real gift, this decorating stuff. Don't you feel blessed now, to have been afflicted with the chronic need to beautify things and see potential in cast offs? I sure do, and I don't wish to be cured anytime soon!

Just think though, if we all had the knack for it, there would be no need to summons help once in a while. And I so enjoy being called in as back-up. I do! I'm honored when asked to give a fresh perspective to someone's home, space, or special event. It truly makes me swell with pride, and I even feel guilty for charging for my services. Rather, sometimes I do. 

A change of seasons is decorating inspiration like none other, too. As hard as it is for a "Summer Addict" like myself to have her days at the beach come to a close, this mini-season in between has started to prepare my heart for fall. Temperatures are dropping, a few leaves have fallen, and football games are everywhere you look! And I don't know about you, but that gets even this beach bum excited! Not to endure a televised football game in its entirety, thank you very much, but to pull out every warm, harvest-like thing I can get my decorating hands on. 


Country Living
That is, of course, after I've vacuumed the fur off this makeshift tent and tackled these crusty dishes. It's not a glamorous life, but then again, glamour has never appealed to me much.


Cottage-ly yours,
Tricia








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Trica....I sure hope when I get to heaven my little pink cottage is going to be beside yours...Why? Because - I want you to decorate it with sweet little stuff from your little mind.

I have the thoughts...but to put them on paper is just another story for another day.

You're just special - "special indeed".
Veronica