Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Glimpse of Preserved History

I've been out of commission, since hiking Friday in our woods with a sweet friend, and our girls. Because of so much wind and rain that we've had here lately, it made for an obstacle course with lots of fallen trees. 
On this beautiful, picture perfect day, as we trotted along having great conversation, it happened! I hooked my toe on something, and fell forward on a limb sticking upright. OUCH! We tied my jacket around my calf, and headed back to my house. Brad quickly accompanied me to our local ER, where I received ten stitches to close up the opening made by the limb. I won't show you the pictures, since they're just plain gross, if you ask me. But I will show you what we were in the woods to enjoy in the first place - 
a great, historic Civil War period furnace. 


Never mind the children in the foreground wearing mismatched play clothes. We call it having fun! These furnaces were known for being located along creeks, and powered by wooden water wheels. They used iron ore harvested from the surrounding area, to make canon balls, weaponry, and kitchenware. 


They usually employed about one hundred men. This is possibly a foundation from a structure that was once on site. I would LOVE to have it as an outdoor fireplace at my house! If stones could talk.


They're very pyramid-like in form, which makes them all the more fascinating.

This one is a reminder of  early craftsmanship, and history of days gone by. It serves as a great conversation piece for those visiting it for the first time.

And it's a beautiful place to play in the water and make memories. 
 

Even the four-legged little ones love it!

Only a few of these historic furnaces still remain in our area, and it's an honor to have one in walking distance from our house.


I hope you've enjoyed your virtual tour of this beautiful piece of American history. 
Have a beautiful Sunday.

No comments: