Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Beautiful Bungalows

If you or I'd had the privilege of building a bungalow in the early to mid 1900's, chances are it would've come from Sears . Now we think of Craftsman tools and Kenmore appliances when we think of Sears, but back then, you could order a kit to build the bungalow of your dreams. This one could be purchased for a mere $1,247. It was a big investment for the time.
 For some, myself included, the appeal of the bungalow is very much alive and well, and it's making a comeback among builders. There is something about the craftsman details that STILL make my heart take notice!


Even modular home builders, whose plans usually emphasize the wide width of their models...


are opting for these classic details, and situating them on the more narrow gable ends instead.
Saussy Burbank continues to build complete communities with these in mind.
 What details, you ask? Well, to the eye that isn't cottage, bungalow, and craftsman addicted, these details might escape you as you're driving along. Take the style of these columns, for instance.
 Shed dormers like this one
Vertical siding
 Wide and sometimes multiple gables


Overhang brackets

Exposed rafter tails

None of these are new ideas. They are what separate a house from a bungalow or cottage. 

It's refreshing to see them when we visit the beach too.

Well, there you have it. The classical bungalow, whose appeal I'm glad to see others appreciate. If only we could still buy their kits and without breaking the bank. Sigh...
 I'll try and be content with my little craftsman inspired, cottage in the woods, but I can't promise I won't covet the others I pass by :)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Tricia. I love cottages and bungalows. Maybe when Rob and I grow old we'll be able to move to a small cottage.
LeAna

Anonymous said...

Tricia,I always read & love your Cottage Appeal.

Anonymous said...

Tricia, I don't know what I did that was me (Anonymous). Love your blog

Diane said...

I've always loved the bungalow style homes too! :)