Monday, May 24, 2010

Springtime Rambling

Well, just when you thought I'd picked up Cottage Appeal and moved, 


 I've made my way back!

I'm refreshed.
Inspired.



I'm ready to post!


 
OldPhotos.Blogspot.com

Here's a quick rendering of what's kept me away.

Let's see... 

There was our family beach trip to beautiful Sunset Beach, NC. 


Brad's parents have a small get-away there and we look forward to visiting any chance we get. This trip was over Easter break, and we enjoyed a 
breath-taking sunrise service on Easter morning. 

"Who taught the sun, where to stand in the morning?"

 

"And who told the ocean, 'You can only come this far.'"


"And who showed the moon, where to hide til evening?"

"Whose words alone, can catch a falling star?"

"For I KNOW, my REDEEMER LIVES!


Then, there was prom for my oldest, Payton. 

She and Will, whom she's ONLY known since she was 2 and he was 4, were a beautiful couple and made memories they'll treasure!



I was honored when Payton asked if I'd make the corsage and boutonniere, 
as I'd done for last year's prom. It was my pleasure. 



Then, there was Mother's Day. One of my most favorite days as a mama 
who's been BLESSED BEYOND MEASURE with four, sweet girls.


Payton, Juliana, Kathryn, and Emma
(And Tate, the cat)

Our family spent the day in beautiful Blowing Rock, North Carolina. 




 During my hiatus, I've also been soaking up some rays in my bikini yard, tending to creation in all of its various forms, not excluding WEEDS.

I've been up to my green thumbs in flower beds, flower pots, widow boxes, trellises, hedges, and just plain ol' grass, until my hands look like that of a diesel mechanic!  

I can NEVER find my gloves when I need them! Not to mention that I've had green feet lately too. That's what happens when you wear flip flops as work shoes.
 






 Another thing that I enjoyed doing lately, was
"Decorating for the Seasons",
a segment that I led for a group of ladies in my community. 

Ok, so many there were more like 10 ladies in attendance, but it sure was fun!




I shared some tips on using what you have on hand to decorate your home throughout the seasons. 

A novel concept, you say?

I'm not accustomed to decorating by any other means, actually.

 In my opinion, a limited budget should not be a deterrent when decorating a home that you love.

So, express yourself, your family, AND those bargain treasures!

Others can FEEL the warmth of a home that's a reflection of those who live there. 

To get started, we turned back the calendar to Christmas. 

Now, THIS isn't the picture of our sweet hostess, Lorie's light fixture. That one, you see, got deleted along with the fall picture by yours truly. I'm so sorry, ladies! The effect here is the same though. I used short branches from an artificial Christmas tree as the base to hold live greenery. I discovered this a few years ago and it's perfect! The branches are bendable and attach easily to most anything you want to hi-light in greenery.

 
This urn shows how both were combined. You be the judge of where those faux tree branches are tucked in ;) 

.

We made a stop by spring, and talked about incorporating your "already haves" to complete a great little tablescape. Hosta, water, and a handful of river rocks, were added to $1 cylinder vases from Dollar Tree for a great look. A classic lantern will serve you well on COUNTLESS occasions throughout the year too.


We then paid tribute to sweet summertime! Here, I paired a vintage, red suitcase and Polaroid camera, with a guitar and candles. A little grass was added so the ladies could imagine the entire luggage bottom full of planted grass for a graduation, birthday, or Luau party centerpiece. Pictures of the guest of honor and mementos, could be added. OR, the bottom could be lined with a plastic bag and filled with ice and bottled drinks. 
The possibilities are endless!


I also helped a dear friend with her mom's 80th birthday celebration cookout. 
Picnic print table cloths, Mason jars, Granny Smith apples, Hosta leaves and daisies. 
In a word, BEAUTIFUL!



 
 
NOW, I'm working on the outside of MY house!  


So far, I've painted our door a salty blue, and added mosquito netting panels to our front porch. Still to do, is to sew a new cover for the porch swing cushion and fill my urn planters. 

 

But in the meantime, I will do my very BEST to write more often.
It's just that sometimes, I start feeling like a true CRAZY LADY, and I have to regroup and prioritize. You understand, right?

No comments: